Tips to Rebuild, Refocus & Restart From Fitness Icon Tony Horton
Photo Courtesy: Tony Horton Instagram
Now he is stronger and better than ever! During his illness, he really focused on what supernutrition looked like and how it could help him heal. He focused on creating and putting together his own nutritional product line that eventually helped him feel better. The super nutrition line he created is called Power Life and it was precisely what powered him back to that active life.
Tony has shared his thoughts on why he thinks he was afflicted with Ramsey Hunt, and he mentions over and over: chronic stress. As the most popular well-known fitness personality in the world, Tony seemed like he had it made, but deep down inside, he suffered from the chronic stressors of everyday life.
Does that sound familiar? Most of us can’t say that 2020 has been free of stress, and between the elections and the pandemic, we have been living with a good degree of silent, chronic stress. But you don’t have to take that into 2021!
Here are Tony’s tips to help you stave off stress so you can rebuild, refocus and reset for 2021 – seriously, stop what you’re doing and incorporate one or two of the techniques below into your daily routine.
1. Breathe deeply. I know, that’s not new or exciting, right? But it works! Why? Because deep breathing increases the supply of oxygen to your brain and stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which promotes a state of calmness.
2. Next try yoga oms, meditation, or prayer with gratitude. Whatever you choose, try to clear your mind of anything that causes anxiety – be in the moment and be grateful.
3. Try other practices that reduce stress and make them a regular part of your day or your week. Tony’s personal favorites are yoga, soaking in the tub, and deep breathing. Other stress management tools include “cutting the crap” out of your diet – yes that is right – time to eat clean and healthy meals, get enough sleep every night, and you guessed it, form some sort of routine of regular exercise.
4. A healthy diet. Tony knows that eating right can help counter the impact of stress by boosting the immune system and lowering your blood pressure. Conversely, a poor diet full of sugar, salt, fat, and processed foods causes inflammation and deprives your body of necessary nutrients that help combat stress, creating a vicious cycle.
5. Get Enough Sleep! Sleep is crucial for your body to recover from stressful events, so don’t skimp on sleep!
6. Lastly, read Tony’s books, or follow him on social media – you’ll see why regular exercise is crucial to every function of your body, especially those feel-good chemicals produced in your brain when you do so. Tony talks all about how dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, and brain-derived neurotropic factors and how they matter! These chemicals will help you feel happy, sleep better and protect against stress-induced neuronal damage. As Tony would say “BOOM! I think we just found the most important part of stress management. You’re welcome.”
So, how about it? Are you ready to open a new chapter in 2021? Tony made a comeback and so can you…