DPM Public Relations Challenge For Dr. Steven Quay
About Dr. Steven Quay: Bio and Background
Dr. Steven Quay is in the top 1% of scientists worldwide with over 300+ contributions to medicine and has been cited over 9,900 times. He holds 87 US patents and has invented seven FDA-approved pharmaceuticals which have helped over 80 million people. Dr. Quay is the author of the first physician-scientist written book on surviving the pandemic, Stay Safe: A Physician’s Guide to Survive Coronavirus. This book is rated #1 on five Amazon bestseller lists.
Dr. Steven Quay serves as CEO of Atossa Therapeutics Inc. (Nasdaq: ATOS). This is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing novel therapeutics for treating breast cancer and COVID-19.
What Was Our Public Relations Challenge During The Pandemic?
Pre-pandemic, Dr. Quay’s research primarily focused on breast cancer prevention. However, once the pandemic hit, DPM strategically advised shifting our outreach focus to concentrate on COVID-19-related media opportunities. Dunn Pellier Media’s tasks included:
- Positioning Dr. Quay as a nationally-recognized, trusted, and scientifically-informed COVID-19 expert
- Securing coverage of his pioneering COVID-19 clinical trial and development of his COVID-19 prevention nasal spray
- Garnering media and consumer awareness for Dr. Quay’s book, Stay Safe: A Physician’s Guide to Survive Coronavirus
DPM Public Relations Strategy For Dr. Steven Quay
DPM leveraged Dr. Quay’s early attention to the pandemic. His study of the COVID-19 pattern of contagion and his research insights was ground breaking. Coupled with his prevention tips and COVID-related clinical trials, Dr Quay became a subject matter expert. This established him as a credible industry expert at the very start of the pandemic.
- DPM kept Dr. Quay at the forefront of the national and local media. DPM created regular and timely press releases. To publicize his research updates the releases were distributed through the PR Newswire service. Many of these included videos to add a visual element and simplify the data for a mass audience
- DPM highlighted key tips from Dr. Quay’s book, Stay Safe: A Physician’s Guide to Survive Coronavirus, to secure numerous TV segments with local news outlets across the country including FOX 26 Houston, WJLA Washington D.C., KIRO TV Seattle, etc.
The PR Results For Dr. Quay
- Media stand-outs include National FOX News, Daily Mail, and local Seattle TV
- National press releases received attention from Business Insider, Yahoo, NASDAQ, more
Future is a cutting-edge digital personal training app that connects users with world-class coaches for monthly bespoke training programs. Built to seamlessly integrate into daily life, Future offers customized and flexible programs, guided workouts, and weekly progress tracking. From past collegiate athletes and busy professionals to those who simply desire to improve overall well-being, Future offers users a custom, scientific-based approach to health & wellness.
Our Public Relations Challenge
New to the Fitness space, Future approached DPM for a brief 6-week campaign with some specific goals in mind:
- Drive consumer awareness of the brand.
- Further educate consumers on the exclusive service Future offers.
- Secure traditional media coverage by utilizing VP of Operations, Josh Bonhotal, MS, CSCS.
Our Public Relations Strategy And Results
Our first step was to prime the media with an introduction, who Future is, what the app offers, what sets Future apart from the competition, and how timely the app was to the current world climate. Future came on board just as the U.S. was experiencing a global shift due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As restrictions grew across the nation— closing gyms, restaurants, and hotels—there was a spike in the conversation of at-home fitness. The already overwhelming fitness space became further inundated with virtual fitness opportunities.
By spreading the word about the cutting-edge app and utilizing the incredible team of performance coaches and their breadth of industry knowledge, DPM hit the ground running. Securing over 10 pieces of coverage, including outlets like Well+Good, Martha Stewart Living, Real Simple, Women’s Health, Under Armor, and more. The team also secured a segment on a local TV news station, KTLA, to promote the app, as well as an exclusive social media post with ExtraTV.
Working with the team at Dunn Pellier gave our company a significant advantage to get top placement in several prominent media features and quickly increase our brand awareness. In just over a month, we were featured in 7 mainstream publications reaching more than 40 million readers. The Dunn-Pellier team immediately showed a genuine interest in our success as a brand and readily leveraged their expansive network to get our content included in some of the top publications in the fitness industry. Not only that, they were incredibly supportive in providing guidance and necessary feedback to prepare and edit our responses for maximum impact. If you’re looking to increase exposure for your company, I’d highly recommend working with the team at Dunn Pellier!
— Josh Bonhotal, VP of Operations for Future
This Might Change Your Mind About PR
Start Creating a Public Relations Campaign!
Look, we don’t want to brag, but…ok. We’ll brag. Because frankly, we’re good at it! As a public relations company with a focus on health and wellness brands, we take pride in bragging about our clients because we truly believe what they stand for will make the world a better, healthier and happier place. And in bragging about them, we get them seen. We get them articles in major online publications. Spots on local and national TV. With our extensive list of contacts in the media world (one that we’ve spent a decade building), we get them access to an audience they wouldn’t otherwise have access to.
In today’s media landscape, you have to be strong-willed and have the persistence to get the attention of the media. They get hundreds of pitch emails daily. Often if they don’t know you they will delete your email, unless it’s relevant to the news cycle. Remember, there are tons of credible experts and brands that have been doing PR for years and have built up a good media contact list – they give good media interviews! These chosen few have figured out the media formula to get press coverage. We applaud them, but we want you to know how hard they had to work to get there. It could take you years of daily posting to garner a big following on Instagram, but if you got one National segment or a series of articles and local tv spots, it might take you a much shorter period of time.
Maybe you are interested in PR but don’t know where to start? If you are new to the public relations scene you can always start off with an online course to teach you about the basics and how to get started. This is a great way to understand how much work it takes to start with nothing and build a base. Like in our 7 Part Online Course – The Hustlers Guide to Capturing Media Attention and Getting Eyeballs on Your Brand. Just think FREE PR. And for $49 dollars you get the following:
- How to find & build media relationships that pay dividends in free eyeballs
- How to become THE Go-To Expert in your industry so journalists look for YOU
- How to create a PR Timeline that leverages the strengths of your brand and keeps your traffic goals on track
- How to craft an irresistible pitch that’s researched and tailored to a specific journalist
Another scenario could be that you already have some media and need help from a professional? We gotcha covered. If you are a wellness, lifestyle, or fitness brand our team of dedicated PR pros can help!
Hiring a PR team takes the work of publicizing yourself off your plate so you can focus on what you do best. And wouldn’t it be great to take comfort in knowing that if you focus on what you do best, someone is working to find an audience to actually appreciate what you do and get placements at the same time?
At Dunn Pellier Media have had many client success stories in our tenure, including helping P90X star, Tony Horton, rise to fame. And more recently, we got our client, Bulldog Online, a virtual workout yoga platform for people who don’t like yoga, mentioned in Money Magazine as one of the Best Workout Apps to try! They went from 25 downloads of their app and program to 125 a week! That’s the power of PR.
In the same week, we got another client, Tropical Oasis, a liquid vitamin company mentioned on ABC News 7 WJLA. Our client Dr. Steven Quay was featured on Fox News announcing his The COVID-19 HOPE Clinical Trial to Eliminate Most Hospitalizations (that is the Daily Mail link that also covered the story).
Our job is to be the biggest cheerleaders for our brands, to help them increase their sales, help branch partnerships and build relationships with the media. We can also help you out if you are just starting out with our online program.
You have two options:
- If you are just starting out – learn how to boosts awareness and drive tons of traffic with media placements – Our PR course is so affordable ($49 dollars), how can you resist!?
- If you are a brand or business that is aligned to the health and wellness industry, and you’re feeling stalled in your growth, or feeling like you could use some support in getting more exposure, send Oumy Thiam an email and we’ll see if we are a good fit for each other.
Don’t let your fear hold you back from achieving the kind of success that is waiting for you! Check out our work on our social feeds and our website!